My Mission

Robert Sale-Hill’s poem, The True Origin and History of “The Dude” (The New York World, January 14, 1883) introduced the world to the word Dude, and kicked off a full-on Dude craze. A-Dude-a-Day[i] Blog is dedicated to preserving and sharing pics, pieces and poems from the early days of the Dude-craze of 1883. You can read more about the history and origin of the word Dude on my blogpost, "Dudes, Dodos and Fopdoodles" on my other blog, Early Sports 'n' Pop-Culture History Blog.


Monday, May 18, 2020

"A Swell Clerk" - a Vinegar Valentine

"The Swell Clerk" (a Vinegar Valentine's Day Card)



The Swell Clerk.

Go away you homely little dude, or I’ll hit you with a feather.
I really think t’would make you wilt, though I’d prefer it leather.
As for your natty suit of clothes, that you love to sport about,
You’ll stick it in a pawn-shop before the month is out.
The girls think you are silly, or what is even worse,
A dude who has an empty head, and owns an empty purse.


“The Swell Clerk” (a Vinegar Valentine), from the Norcross Greeting Card Collection of the Smithsonian Institution, NMAH.AC.0058, AC0058-0000045.tif (AC Scan No.).

No comments:

Post a Comment